Alpha Epsilon Lambda
Alpha Epsilon Lambda, the National Honor Society of Graduate and Professional School Students, was founded in 1990 by John Capece, Carole Glover, and Suresh Ramamurthi, all former officers of the National Association of Graduate-Professional Students, with the specific objective of recognizing the academic and leadership accomplishments of graduate and professional school students. The mission of Alpha Epsilon Lambda is to:
- Confer distinction for high achievement;
- Promote leadership development;
- Promote scholarship and encourage intellectual development – illustrated by being in the top 35% of your specific discipline;
- Enrich the intellectual environment of graduate education institutions; and
- Encourage high standards of ethical behavior.
Alpha Epsilon Lambda chapters may be installed in graduate or professional schools which support this mission. Graduate and professional school students who meet the selection criteria may be elected to membership. You may find out more about AEL on their website: www.gradschools.org.
Saint Louis University – Chi Chapter Membership Requirements (Minimum):
- Rank in the top 35% of one's graduate program;
- Completion of at least 12 graduate credit hours and 1 academic year in residence at SLU as a graduate student through December 2019 (This means you must have started your SLU graduate student career in Spring 2019 or earlier); and
- Demonstration of leadership through on-campus or off-campus activities during the student’s time as a graduate student.
To apply for membership, please follow these steps:
- Download the application form here. If the link does not work, cut and paste the URL https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PjAZNvXgjB7ZS2UFb7YtNsm5HKbTBBjW/view?usp=sharing into your browser.
- Complete the application with your personal information. All information other than your signature should be typed.
- Have your department chair or program director complete the second page and sign your form.
- Go to the SLU Marketplace (if the link does not work, cut and paste https://billpay.slu.edu/C20197_ustores/web/classic/store_main.jsp?STOREID=22 into your browser) and make your $20 payment for the membership fee (and any optional academic regalia you would like to order).
- Scan (do not take pictures) your completed application and e-mail the application as a PDF and proof of payment to email@example.com with the subject line "AEL Application - 'LastnameFirstname'". If you cannot scan it, you must drop it off at the GSA Office, BSC 240A by the date below.
The deadline is TBD. No late applications will be accepted under any circumstances.
Applicants will be informed of the final decision by April 1, 2020. Please note that the induction ceremony will take place at the Graduate Research Symposium Reception on Friday, May 1, 2020 in the Wool Ballroom of the Busch Student Center.